Hello from the East Midlands

New members please post here to introduce yourself. A warm welcome is guaranteed!
JimzBridges

Hello from the East Midlands

Post by JimzBridges » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:24 am

Tracey and I have pooled savings, sold the old car and bought an Ambassador 2.0 HL as an upgrade after ten years with a 2-stroke Trabant as our daily driver classic. As much as I am a big fan of the little East German car, we felt we needed a change and we needed a big step up in luggage capacity, road presence and above all else, comfort.

We toyed with various classics, and settled on the Ambassador quite by accident after it showed up on eBay while we were searching for a Maxi in our price range... We Saw the Ambassador and both said.. "That's the one". We drove across to Lincolnshire to view it, then a week later, drove back and picked it up. We're nearly two weeks and a thousand miles into ownership now with no concerns outside the usual "whats that rattle?" style of thing.

The car it's self has some anecdotal history, 'retailed after the range had been withdrawn' and a brief Google has provided us with some rough idea of where the car came from and who's owned it before us. As I have mentioned, it's a 2.0 HL, has twin 'SU' carbs and power steering but sadly not power windows. It seems to have three rear screen demister switches (?) no rear fog light switch, a wiper switch stalk that cant be moved down into 'intermittent'... All the usual 34 year old car stuff. The interior is great, really clean with just the dashboard coating having succumbed to UV damage. Oh, and the cigarette lighter doesn't work.

Unlike the 'rare' Trabant (estimated to be 250 on the road in the UK) we discovered after purchase that the Ambassador is an even rarer bird, with (depending on where you look) between 19 and 25 left on the road. I'm glad to say this sits very well with us, we like 'normal' cars and we like 'em rare.

So there we have it, we hope to be out in the spring to a few shows, we try to get to as many as we can, big or small. We've done the London to Brighton classic run the last five years in the Trabant, but are looking for something new this year.

rovamota
Site Admin

Re: Hello from the East Midlands

Post by rovamota » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:07 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum. It's good to see new enthusiasts becoming involved with the cars and we hope to hear more about your ownership experiences over the coming months.
Kev Davis.
Club President.
Founder of www.leylandprincess.co.uk.
Owner of unique Princess 2000ST 'Special Tuning'.