Two Ambassadors

New members please post here to introduce yourself. A warm welcome is guaranteed!
mcdonaldbrothers

Two Ambassadors

Post by mcdonaldbrothers » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:00 pm

My brother (Simon) and I (Jon) have taken on two cars one from Birmingham XWD 164X and one from The Isle of Wight PMR 528Y in gold.
Starting with the gold one, we have removed all the displacer units to send to the people in Telford, then the engine is coming out as the previous owner mentioned overheating was a problem. Luckily, I have the help of my son-in-law a RN marine engineer who is enjoying the task and sees it as a great hobby.
Windscreen rubbers will be necessary, I see a previous note suggesting there was a plan to get a number of these re manufactured, did this happen? Can we get new rubbers from anywhere?

Noted that there was not a description on how to remover the rear displacer units so we took photos and will write up a piece in due course.

Cheers Jon
Si :idea:

Gasman

Re: Two Ambassadors

Post by Gasman » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:25 pm

Welcome to the forum Jon.

From the tone of your post it would seem you had no trouble removing the rear displacers. If so, you are lucky because the displacers can often be seized onto the pivot shaft which cans be very problematic. I hope you are as lucky with the other car!

The windscreen rubbers were indeed remanufactured but the first run of 25 have all been sold I am afraid.

Good luck with your dual projects
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:
Oldest known surviving wedge, hand-built 15th Pre-Production Wolseley in June 1974
Last Ambassador down the line in November 1983, Austin Ambassador VDP

mcdonaldbrothers

Re: Two Ambassadors

Post by mcdonaldbrothers » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:21 pm

Thanks for the welcome, PMR will likely be the easier of the two, luck must have been on our side with the rear displacers, although no much stops the Royal Navy! Shame there are no windscreen rubbers left. pictures to follow at some time on the Ambassador section as suggested to my brothers first post.
Si :idea: