Dutch newbie

New members please post here to introduce yourself. A warm welcome is guaranteed!
Apae01

Dutch newbie

Post by Apae01 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:15 am

Hello all,

In the dutch AMRWR club, a member passed away earlier this year. He owned three Princesses, all of which were already a long time off the road.
Together with a friend, we rescued them from being scrapped.
Our longterm plan is to find new owners for them, and maybe keep one of the cars for ourselves. There's a 1978 1800 (with Princess2 bootlid) on LPG, a 1980 2200, and a 1981 O-series (don't know if that's a 1700 or 2000 yet).
Last week, we picked up the first: the 1800 on LPG. Suspension had sunk on one side, and this has been off the road since 2010.
It turned out the suspension hadn't collapsed: pumping it up helped at least for one day. After tinkering with it, it ran on both fuels and we did some rounds on the terrain. After that, a clutch hose collapsed, stalling it for the time being. For the dutch MOT it will need some welding, and it will need a full restoration after that, but it is a reasonably sound base.
The other two will be picked up somewhere during july: we've had a short look but don't yet know how good or bad they are. They have been standing dry for more than ten years.

Vulgalour

Re: Dutch newbie

Post by Vulgalour » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:06 am

Welcome, and good luck with your projects. When you replace the clutch hose, check the length of the one you buy. There's several different lengths of hose and it's not always listed on the item being sold.

Apae01

Post by Apae01 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:11 am

The clutch hose has already been replaced. A brake hose of a Volvo did the trick (but is a bit longer).

We had the 1800 on the ramp last saturday, and underneath it looks pretty good. A small bit of welding needs to be done on the inner sill, and the brake lines need looking at, but the rest is mostly sound.

Any ideas where I can find the colour codes on the car? The 1800 is in a bright red metallic (at least, under the bonnet, inside of doors etc - the outside is severely discoloured) and that seems original, but I can't match it to any colour in the colour cards on this site.

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:26 am

The car was never sold in a metallic red colour. Any chance of a picture of it, particularly under the bonnet where it is not faded, to help us identify. If you have any difficulty loading pictures which a lot of people do, then if you email them to us I can upload them for you: leylandprincess@aol.com .
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:
Oldest known surviving wedge, hand-built 15th Pre-Production Wolseley in June 1974
Last Ambassador down the line in November 1983, Austin Ambassador VDP

Apae01

Post by Apae01 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:51 am

A link to my mate's facebook posting with pictures: https://www.facebook.com/adriaan.elsena ... e_friend=1
This weekend I'll take more pictures and try posting them here.

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:16 am

Unfortunately your friend's Facebook page has restricted viewing access so we can't see it.
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:
Oldest known surviving wedge, hand-built 15th Pre-Production Wolseley in June 1974
Last Ambassador down the line in November 1983, Austin Ambassador VDP