Wolseley Landcrab

Any other Leyland Cars stuff can go here.
Wolseley1800

Wolseley Landcrab

Post by Wolseley1800 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:24 pm

I am in the process of modifying the engine in a friends 18/85

We have bored it out to 2 litres, large valves etc. and a kent fast road cam.
Next is the fitment of a fuel injection system.

With all this extra power the gearing is going to be a little low.

I have been informed that the only way to improve this is to use the diff crown wheel from an auto 1700.

If this is true I would like to know the number of teeth please so I can calculate the new ratio.

Gasman

Re: Wolseley Landcrab

Post by Gasman » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:58 am

My understanding of the technical specification , and it would be good if others could either agree or disagree, is that the Princess automatics had a slightly different differential ratio than the manual; 3.83:1 for the auto & 3.72 for the manual. On the face of it this means the manual will be doing less revs per given speed than the automatic.

Thus my view is that if you want the max mph/1000 revs you should go for the manual 3.72 which is 18/67 as opposed to the auto which is 18/69.

These ratios are the same whichever engine is installed so you do not specifically need a 1700 autobox diff.

I'm afraid I cannot confirm that the wedge differential fits in a land crab.
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:
Oldest known surviving wedge, hand-built 15th Pre-Production Wolseley in June 1974
Last Ambassador down the line in November 1983, Austin Ambassador VDP

100 Club

Post by 100 Club » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:40 pm

Have you investigated the Ambassador primary gear train as an alternative solution?

I was under the impression that to give the Ambassador longer gearing, some changes were made to the primary and idler gears, rather than altering the final drive ratio.
Princess 2 2000HL, Reynard metallic
Princess 100 Club Special

Daily drive: MG ZR Trophy 115 TD

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Wolseley1800

Post by Wolseley1800 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:51 pm

Gasman wrote:My understanding of the technical specification , and it would be good if others could either agree or disagree, is that the Princess automatics had a slightly different differential ratio than the manual; 3.83:1 for the auto & 3.72 for the manual. On the face of it this means the manual will be doing less revs per given speed than the automatic.

Thus my view is that if you want the max mph/1000 revs you should go for the manual 3.72 which is 18/67 as opposed to the auto which is 18/69.

These ratios are the same whichever engine is installed so you do not specifically need a 1700 autobox diff.

I'm afraid I cannot confirm that the wedge differential fits in a land crab.
Thanks for that. Very helpful :geek:
It is not the auto box I need it is the 'final drive pinion' from any gear box. My final ration is 17/66 (3.882:1) but if I fit the 18 tooth gear from the princess, voila, 18/66 (3.666:1). :ugeek:
Conversely, if you fit the crabs (if it fits) final drive wheel, from the manual, (66 teeth) you will get the same ratio. Slightly longer gears. :roll:

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:51 am

100 Club wrote:Have you investigated the Ambassador primary gear train as an alternative solution?

I was under the impression that to give the Ambassador longer gearing, some changes were made to the primary and idler gears, rather than altering the final drive ratio.
Paul, that is correct and I must say it gives more relaxed engine speeds when cruising but I would not have thought the Ambo primary gear train would fit the B series although you or others, of course, may know better!
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:
Oldest known surviving wedge, hand-built 15th Pre-Production Wolseley in June 1974
Last Ambassador down the line in November 1983, Austin Ambassador VDP