Hydragas element change

Austin, Morris and Wolseley specific items.
menopeli

Hydragas element change

Post by menopeli » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:00 pm

Hi
The rear end elements should be replaced, but how do you get off the support arm shaft? I have tried using a press to press, but I have not dared to squeeze than 7 tons. I have new puzzles on one support arm so I wouldn’t burn rubbers.
Tuomo
Attachments
hydragas elementti 2.jpg
hydragas elementti 2.jpg (254.75 KiB) Viewed 460 times

beiderbecke

Re: Hydragas element change

Post by beiderbecke » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:12 pm

I had the same problem on my wedge and the local garage put it in their press of 40-odd tons and it still didn't move even after soaking it in WD40 overnight. In the end we set fire to it with a welding torch and boy! did the bushes burn but it worked. Black smoke billowed up and we thought the fire brigade might call!

Peter Laursen

Post by Peter Laursen » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:52 pm

There is a new radius arm for sale on ebay.
Peter
Princess 2200 HLS 1975
Morris 1800 MK1
Wolseley 18/85 MK1
MGB Roadster MK1

menopeli

Post by menopeli » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:45 pm

Hi
Thanks for the knowledge, that impossible press to remove.
Thanks also for Peter. I bought the ebay support arm. I see how the other side goes.
Tuomo

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:37 pm

Seized pivot shafts is a common problem when trying to remove rear displacers. As has been said, lots of wd40 and extreme pressure plus judicious heat. There's a chap in the UK who could almost certainly sort it for you but that's not a lot of help to you!

Beware with the NOS radius arm that was on eBay. If it was the one I was looking at it is for earlier wedges up to chassis number 40042 which is about 1976. You have posted under 18-22 series so hopefully that's what you've got! in which case it'll be fine. They changed the spindle shape (I think it's thicker) so if yours is a later chassis number the bearings in your drums will wobble about on the spindle so you will need to get some early bearings as well I am afraid. In fairness to the seller he did mention this in the advert.

Your windscreen rubber is on it's way and is supposed to be with you by 15th October.
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:
Oldest known surviving wedge, hand-built 15th Pre-Production Wolseley in June 1974
Last Ambassador down the line in November 1983, Austin Ambassador VDP

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:57 pm

The chap in the UK uses at least up to 20 tons pressure according to his Facebook posts:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Hydrosu ... 158858244/
We do have some used pivot shafts available if they should bend....
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:
Oldest known surviving wedge, hand-built 15th Pre-Production Wolseley in June 1974

menopeli

Post by menopeli » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:24 pm

Hi
Thanks for the information, the car is a 1978 model year so became a pointless purchase. My press is 20 tons, have to try it. Thanks for reporting the windscreenseal condition. www.brittiosa.com has new rear elements 295 € / each.
Tuomo

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:53 pm

I am sorry to issue another warning note! I see that the website you mention has 2 new old stock displacers for sale (what you call rear elements) Although these units won't have been used they will be around 40 years old. The nitrogen pressure in the dome will not be the 275psi that it should be when new as nitrogen very slowly diffuses through the inner rubber membrane and even the metal exterior over the years. They will all need to be re-filled with nitrogen as will the front displacers to restore the exemplary ride quality and to protect the life of the membranes within the displacers.
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:

menopeli

Post by menopeli » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:58 pm

Thanks Martin, important information for me, that keep checking the displacers before assembly. Luckily, I bought mine about 20 years ago, when I got them cheaply.
Tuomo

menopeli

Post by menopeli » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:19 pm

Hi
The radius arm arrived and when I measured it I found no difference to the current one, both have an inch shaft. Shaft lenght is also the same.
Tuomo

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:33 pm

Well that's good. Is the taper the same? When I put my Wolseley back on the road to save time I exchanged the rear offside radius arm for a later version but used the original bearings & drum. No way would the wheel turn nor could I get it seated properly. I reverted to the original and it was fine. Maybe that was just a co-incidence. On checking, the bearings are in fact the same but the inner oil seal was changed.
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of: