Project KPK

Austin, Morris and Wolseley specific items.
Princess1800s

Re: Project KPK

Post by Princess1800s » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:54 am

Awe-inspiring progress on this beast! Well done, you must be pleased.

YNG700S

Post by YNG700S » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:12 pm

That’s looking amazing! What did you bolt the front fogs to in the end? I’ve a set of Lucas LR8s to fit to mine but not sure where to drill for the best!

Princess1800s

Post by Princess1800s » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:28 pm

Were you not tempted to paint the engine while it was out? It would have been ideal to have done so as it's not looking too tidy at the moment?

Not criticisiing, just an observation - the engine can of course be painted in situ.

John Steed

Post by John Steed » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:29 pm

It seems one of the previous owners had custom mountings fabricated for the spot lights that bolt through the front valance, it's quite neat as the spotlights sit right under the bumper.

Regarding the engine, it was painted whilst out, however, having two wedges crammed in the one garage means my space is rather limited so the engine had to be stored with a friend.

When the engine was dropped off the only way to get it back on the property was through the back fence and down the side of the garage on a trolley, due to the weight of it and the ground being damp etc it had to remain in situ under a cover, so unfortunately I could only access the rear and side of the engine to paint. Once a friend arrived with the hoist to help, the heavens decided to open so it was just a case of pushing the car out, whipping the trolley round, attaching it to the hoist and getting it fitted as quickly as possible. I think we had it positioned and bolted in place in just over half an hour, though my friend is a mechanic so of course his experience helped in that regard. I painted the front of the block in situ, not ideal I know but it's all sorted now and looks nice and tidy.

My pictures have been rather sparce of late as the car has been featured twice in Practical Classics and will be again once finished, so I've been advised to keep photos to a minimum until then.

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:30 pm

Well, I don't know Andy. I would have expected a slightly fuller explanation about the engine painting...

Publications do sometimes annoy me. Why shouldn't you post pictures of your car. I'll bet they are not paying a fee or any expenses to you so why shouldn't you post pictures of your own car if you want to!

I was once asked whether I could get SMG to near Peterborough for 10.00 in the morning (150 miles away up the M3 & M25 in rush hour) with less than a week's notice for a photoshoot with no expenses offered for a 300 mile round trip. (Not PC by the way). When I accepted I would pay the costs but politely asked whether it could be somewhere a bit nearer to Winchester I was told that wasn't convenient. I suddenly remembered I was busy that day.
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:
Oldest known surviving wedge, hand-built 15th Pre-Production Wolseley in June 1974
Last Ambassador down the line in November 1983, Austin Ambassador VDP

rovamota
Site Admin

Post by rovamota » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:31 pm

I agree with Martin. You haven't signed a contract with PC so you can post your photos wherever you like so don't pander to them. How did PC know about your resto?

When we restored the Morris 5 years ago we should have won PC's Restorer of the Year but editorial bitching between PC and CCW meant we lost out completely.
Kev Davis.
Club President.
Founder of www.leylandprincess.co.uk.
Owner of unique Princess 2000ST 'Special Tuning'.

John Steed

Post by John Steed » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:11 pm

Hi everyone, thanks for the comments, I take on board your comments, as you say I'm not getting any monetary benefit from it.

I'll get some more pictures posted of the progress although It's slowed somewhat recently with being back to work. Though I have had a fortnight's isolation which was used to catch up alittle.

Refitted the driveshafts and hubs etc last weekend, question regarding that, my book says tighten castle nuts to 150 foot pounds although I saw it mentioned here to tighten to 200 foot pounds, which one should I go by?

Best Wishes, Andy

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:56 pm

Others can speak for themselves but I tighten to 150 LbFt and then tighten further to the next available position to get a cotter pin in as per the 18-22/Princess official workshop manual. The P2 manual says 200 and then tighten to next cotter position.
Take your choice!
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:
Oldest known surviving wedge, hand-built 15th Pre-Production Wolseley in June 1974
Last Ambassador down the line in November 1983, Austin Ambassador VDP

beiderbecke

Post by beiderbecke » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:26 pm

:!: I concur with Gasman on this. I've tried to reach 200lbft in the past and failed, ending up ruining my torque wrench. So went for 150 and on to the next hole, which seems to work ok.

John Steed

Post by John Steed » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:54 pm

Thankyou both, I'll re-check and make sure i'm at 150 and then tighten to the next hole :D

I'll try and get some more photos uploaded during the week :)

YNG700S

Post by YNG700S » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:06 pm

Hi John, how old was the Jag you got the headlights off? My local scrappy has a P reg Jaguar Sovereign in and I’m quite liking the idea of brighter lights, especially if travelling late! Just wondered if they were the same or if there’s a specific age range I should look at!

John Steed

Post by John Steed » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:56 pm

Apologies for the late response, they are from a Jaguar XJ40 if I remember correctly.

I ended up using two sets as one set had corroded insides, and the other set had a registration etched into the glass. I heated both sets in the oven and carefully removed the glass and swapped them over making one good set out of the two :)

YNG700S

Post by YNG700S » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:03 pm

Nice one! The Sovereign I’m looking at wasn’t all it was cracked up to be so I’ll continue with the search!