SMG413M

Austin, Morris and Wolseley specific items.
Vulgalour

Re: SMG413M

Post by Vulgalour » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:36 pm

Belt and braces! Here's hoping you have better luck this time around.

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:20 pm

Man flu over Christmas + busy with family duties so no garage work. It's our wedding anniversary at the end of January as well and we always go away (for the last 44 years...) so not much time for petrolly things for the rest of the month. However, I've been doing a bit of work on SMG in between other things. The suspension is back together, albeit not pumped up yet and the engine is back in situ. Lots of bits still to connect though. I've got a bit of time at the week end so hopefully can move it on a bit more. I am afraid I haven't taken any photos as I've shown them all before....
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:
Oldest known surviving wedge, hand-built 15th Pre-Production Wolseley in June 1974
Last Ambassador down the line in November 1983, Austin Ambassador VDP

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:14 pm

I've been away for my annual Wedding Anniversary holiday. The engine is now fully back in, half shafts tapped in, pipes underneath reconnected, exhausts on (we'll have to wait and see if there's any leak...) , gear selector clipped in and then we came to wiring up the gearbox inhibitor/reverse light switch. The wires were all very brittle and 2 of the 4 wires were cracked with the copper wire exposed. One broke off completely when I tried reconnecting the lucar connection. I chopped the wires off inside the car before they went into the interior wiring harness. I used a section of Maurice's rear harness to connect up to the switch albeit that had 6 wires in it not 4 soldering in some bullet connectors etc.

IMG_1770.jpg
IMG_1770.jpg (120.45 KiB) Viewed 5515 times
IMG_1771.jpg
IMG_1771.jpg (89.76 KiB) Viewed 5515 times

Radiator is back in and hoses connected. Alternator in and belt tightened. All fuel lines replaced and secured. Whilst I've been doing the work I thought I would tart up the engine mountings.

IMG_1773.jpg
IMG_1773.jpg (136.48 KiB) Viewed 5515 times
IMG_1776.jpg
IMG_1776.jpg (124.75 KiB) Viewed 5515 times
IMG_1778.jpg
IMG_1778.jpg (71.41 KiB) Viewed 5515 times

The car is on its own wheels with the suspension pumped up (with welds holding so far) although I've still got to reconnect the accelerator, choke and kickdown cables, the battery and also the PAS pump which has also been tarted up. Bonnet on and Bob may be my uncle. We'l see.
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:
Oldest known surviving wedge, hand-built 15th Pre-Production Wolseley in June 1974

Vulgalour

Post by Vulgalour » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:07 pm

Got everything crossed for you on the suspension fix! Engine bay is looking exceptionally nice now. Did you use standard VHT on the manifold or something else? I've yet to find anything that stays looking as nice as yours is now for more than a few months.

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:59 am

I'm also a bit surprised that the silver hasn't burnt off. Mind you the car's only done just under 600 miles since the engine was done so it's early days. I either used 500C (Halfords VHT - standard is up to 450C) or more probably Hammerite 600C. I can't remember!
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:41 pm

I started the car up yesterday. Started straight away although the accelerator cable was too tight so tickover is far too high. That's when I noticed petrol pouring from the first carburettor straight onto the exhaust - no leak from the manifold joins BTW which is good - and it wasn't from the overflow pipe. Obviously I turned the engine off and cleared up the pool of petrol lying on the gearbox/differential casing. I couldn't be bothered to investigate any further yesterday.

Had another look today. Started the engine up fine (except for the high tickover). I'd got all my torches mirrors etc ready to investigate the leak only there was absolutely no leak whatsoever. Zilch.

My theory is that the carbs were completely dry and the O ring at the bottom of the float chamber had dried out and 'shrunk' meaning there was a leak. Overnight, being soaked in the leaked petrol the O ring expanded and was then able to do its job. Hence no leak today.

I can't think of any other explanation although you may think differently...
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:

Vulgalour

Post by Vulgalour » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:58 pm

Sticky float? It fixed itself, that's all that matters :lol:

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:09 pm

No. It wasn't a sticky float. The petrol would have been coming out of the overflow which it wasn't.
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:

Vulgalour

Post by Vulgalour » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:31 pm

derp... yeah, ignore me. :lol:

steveb

Post by steveb » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:02 pm

I had a leak like this on mine, it turned out to be the fuel pipe were it connected to the carb.it was intermittent, can only think when the needle valve closed the pressure built up. I want to make a shield up, so if it happened again it wouldn't drop straight on the exhaust.
1976 Princess 2200
1979 Scirocco Storm
1984 ur quattro
1986 Audi coupe
2001 Audi A2
2011 Audi A1

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:29 pm

Yes, food for thought. I've tried wiggling the fuel inlet pipe and the interconnecting pipe between the carbs and can't get them to leak but I really don't think I will be happy unless I take the carbs off and give them the once over with new gaskets etc etc. A leak of the magnitude it had when I first started it, immediately over the exhaust, doesn't really bear thinking about as I'm going along the M3...
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:31 pm

Oh dear. There's always something.

Even though I no longer have any fuel leaks I've changed the float chamber gaskets although TBH the old ones didn't look too bad. At least I've got peace of mind there. So I come to restart the car and there are still no fuel leaks for the simple reason the fuel pump is no longer operating. I've reprimed it without effect. The pump works in vitro. So the only thing can be the operating rod is not moving in & out enough. What activates the rod that works the pump? Is it from the oil pump? I can't see from the parts catalogue or any of the manuals! It all seems very odd to have suddenly failed. I feel I am missing something extremely simple (& stupid). BTW the fuel tank is 3/4 full & fuel comes out of the pump inlet pipe from the tank easily under gravity. I'm at a bit of a loss to know what to do next. I think I'll measure how much the operating rod is moving in & out as I turn the engine over. Any thoughts anyone?

IMG_1781_800.jpg
IMG_1781_800.jpg (80.98 KiB) Viewed 5255 times
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:

Peter Laursen

Post by Peter Laursen » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:02 am

I don't have an idea of what is wrong. It seems strange that it stops working suddenly. Anyway some years ago I removed the petrol pump (I don't remember why) and I also removed the rod. On reinstalling the rod I missed the holder, and the rod disappeared into the gearbox. I have therefore blanked off the hole, and I have installed an electronic pump. This works perfectly, and you can always hear it when turning on the ignition, thus giving you peace of mind.
Peter

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:25 pm

I'd already thought, Peter, that an electric pump would be a long stop but I'd rather sort the problem if I can.

The operating rod goes in & out about 5mm which should be fine. Having looked at some old photos of when the engine was in a thousand pieces I can see that the cam to operate the pump rod is on top of the oil pump. You can see it to the right of the picture above the oil pump. It wasn't unduly worn 600 miles ago when the picture was taken so I don't reckon that's the problem and, as I say, the rod moves in & out about 5mm which is what you would expect with that cam.

IMG_1148_800.jpg
IMG_1148_800.jpg (101.79 KiB) Viewed 5240 times

All I can think of is that I hadn't fully tightened up the fuel pump bolts although I must say they looked and felt tight and I didn't want to strip the thread on the aluminium spacer that the pump mounts onto. I'll have another go tomorrow!
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:

Vulgalour

Post by Vulgalour » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:44 am

Is there a return spring on the pump side for the rod? All I can think is perhaps that's broken and not allowing the rod to return properly.

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:46 pm

Thank you for that Angyl but the pressure from actuating the pump (which has a very strong spring) returns the rod. I have found the problem as I've been dreaming about SU fuel pumps...

The fuel is coming from the fuel tank to the pump. I know the pump works off the car. The rod from the oil pump on the engine goes in & out & yet the whole combination doesn't work. It can only be, therefore, that the rod & actuator aren't connecting properly. I decided I would trial without the insulating block and use a similar-sized spacer on the bolts. Then I would be able to see the rod going in & out and the pump being actuated:

IMG_1786_800.jpg
IMG_1786_800.jpg (68.56 KiB) Viewed 5217 times

This demonstrated to me that it was possible for the actuator on the pump not to line up with the rod:

IMG_1782_800.jpg
IMG_1782_800.jpg (87.02 KiB) Viewed 5217 times

It should be:

IMG_1785_800.jpg
IMG_1785_800.jpg (79.05 KiB) Viewed 5217 times

I am uncertain why I haven't had a problem before but one of the many detailed changes on SMG is that the pump is held in place with 2 bolts. Production models had 2 studs coming from the engine block and the pump was kept in place with nuts. This arrangement means you can put the pump in place on the studs with ease so the rod & actuator line up. With bolts everything wobbles about whilst you are getting the bolts through the pump, through the insulating block, through the spacer and then connecting with the thread on the block during which time the rod & actuator don't line up. A very small example of development from a preproduction model to the final model for sale to make servicing easier!

Whatever, it's working now but what a waste of time!
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:

Vulgalour

Post by Vulgalour » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:30 pm

Oh wow, I would never have guessed that to be the problem! Well diagnosed.

crazymaddriver

Post by crazymaddriver » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:05 pm

Great news, that. Do you have any problems with oil leaking out from this area? Mine constantly drips from this part.
Leyland Princess - the way forward.
http://www.thecrazymadwriter.com

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:26 pm

At the moment there doesn't seem to be an oil leak but I have had problems in the past...

The last job I had to do putting SMG back together was to replace the central & front console & driver's seat. The central console is awkward because it's a faff getting the 4 screw holes located for the self-tapping screws but anyway got it all together when I realised that the plastic surround to the automatic gear selector goes underneath the front console! So, had to remove the central console again, remove the driver's seat so I could get to the front console rear screw, replace the transmission plastic surround, then refit both consoles with their awkward self-tappers and finally the seat again. Ffs...
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:

Vulgalour

Post by Vulgalour » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:12 pm

I still haven't replaced my centre console because of those screws. A knitting needle is the only tool I've found that comes close to helping line it all up and it's STILL a chore. Not BL's finest design moment that one.

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:49 pm

It's been a funny sort of day. Being 44 years old SMG doesn't need an MoT but I wanted an unbiased look over so booked it in for a voluntary MoT. I'd given the car a once-over and everything (except a funny creaking noise from the front of which more anon) was tickety-boo. As I put the winker on to turn into the garage this morning, no winkers. On investigation duff flasher unit! It's done it before with a fault on MoT day. Not having a spare I put off the MoT 'cos it was an obvious failure.

After much investigation I have also discovered the source of the creaking noise mentioned above; too much Belgian pave at MIRA in its development life. It needs some serious welding on the front N/S suspension which I'll get under way with Tony the Welder. It's a bit of a blow but sortable. At least it doesn't necessitate taking the engine out this time. I need to completely dismantle the N/S suspension and remove the front lower wishbone bush. I'm hoping I can get away without removing the rack but I'll see what TtW says.

Hey ho; there's always something! At least Kwakers is behaving himself at the moment, famous last words...
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:51 pm

So an update. I've contacted TtW but he's always a bit elusive so haven't got a date for the job yet! Meanwhile I've been doing the dismantling. It's all easy peasy as it's been done so many times before so nothing's seized which is a bit of a joy. Anyway, got the N/S suspension completely dismantled but I decided that the steering rack had to come out to give the poor old welder a chance of seeing the rabbit. I did notice it was a bit oily under the driver's side carpet, a sure sign the upper oil seal is leaking a bit, a well known fault. As it happens a bought a new rack 5 years ago to go on the parts shelf. Stupidly (and it's not the first time so I never learn) I hadn't opened the package to see if it was the correct one. On checking it is obviously a much cheaper tinnier version and is obviously a little different where the pinion shaft meets the steering column but all the measurements match so presume it will fit. Time will tell!

On the driver's side there has obviously been previous extensive welding to strength the suspension pick up from the lower front wishbone. This was done before my ownership by BL as they discovered at the prototype stage that the shell needed strengthening at this point. On this side everything seems to be holding at least 40 years on and another 40,000miles.

IMG_2308_800.jpg
IMG_2308_800.jpg (134 KiB) Viewed 1973 times
IMG_2313_800.jpg
IMG_2313_800.jpg (138.42 KiB) Viewed 1972 times

On the passenger side however there is clear evidence of metal fatigue which needs to be welded. I was going to add a strengthening plate as well but in truth the welding on the driver's side has held up well without so don't think I'll do that.

IMG_2311_800.jpg
IMG_2311_800.jpg (105.61 KiB) Viewed 1972 times
IMG_2312_800.jpg
IMG_2312_800.jpg (113.25 KiB) Viewed 1972 times

Steering rack comparison. New one obviously a cheaper version. I'll keep the old one in case I need to have that renovated.

IMG_2317_800.jpg
IMG_2317_800.jpg (125.51 KiB) Viewed 1972 times
IMG_2317_800.jpg
IMG_2317_800.jpg (125.51 KiB) Viewed 1972 times

So, I just need to wait for TtW.
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:

rovamota
Site Admin

Post by rovamota » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:12 pm

Although the new steering rack seems to look 'tinnier' it does so as the original one is probably an over-engineered prototype. The newer one has been costed down.
Kev Davis.
Club President.
Founder of www.leylandprincess.co.uk.
Owner of unique Princess 2000ST 'Special Tuning'.

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:40 pm

Ummm. Nothing wrong with over-engineering! Plenty wrong with under-engineering.
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:28 pm

This is looking into the front near side displacer housing on SMG:-

IMG_2294_800.jpg
IMG_2294_800.jpg (148.02 KiB) Viewed 1939 times

Following the failures on pre-production/prototype vehicles, production models had a strengthening bar inserted (arrowed) to prevent the strut metal fatigue that has beset SMG:

IMG_0434_800.jpg
IMG_0434_800.jpg (187.01 KiB) Viewed 1939 times
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:

Vulgalour

Post by Vulgalour » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:36 pm

Is the plan to install a brace similar to production models or just do the weld line as per BL's original fix on SMG?

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:33 pm

Both. I'm also replacing the front jacking points which, for some reason, have got squashed. I'm always very careful positioning the trolley jack so not sure why it's happened as there's no rust degradation. The rears are fine. I'm using 3mm x 30mm x 30mm steel box section for that. Should be strong enough! I forgot to take any photos before I cut out the old points which is a shame. I promise to take some of the finished article.
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:

Vulgalour

Post by Vulgalour » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:07 pm

One of my front jacking points is a bit squashed and like yours, not because of rust. I wonder if it was caused by a jack with a very small pad on it, like a bottle jack, I can't figure out how else you'd damage it.

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:22 pm

It's only ever had a trolley jack on them (by me at least). The only other people to have the car is the MoT garage and I can't see that they could have done it. They seem to put their 4 post lift under the butterfly joints squashing them such that I've had to replace both, so I guess it must be me...
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:04 pm

Quick update. I was expecting Tony the Welder this afternoon. Unfortunately they have closed the M27 nearby this week-end to remove a bridge. By mutual agreement we have postponed as local traffic was likely to be difficult. It's now booked for October 8th. I'll be glad to get it done and everything back together again!
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:42 pm

Tony the welder came yesterday to do his magic:

IMG_2436_800.jpg
IMG_2436_800.jpg (106.1 KiB) Viewed 1596 times
He welded up where there was metal fatigue, then welded in two new front jacking points of 3mm thick 300mm square and finally a 3mm cross bracing strut into the turret below the displacer housing

IMG_2448_800.jpg
IMG_2448_800.jpg (141.3 KiB) Viewed 1596 times
IMG_2438_800.jpg
IMG_2438_800.jpg (81.57 KiB) Viewed 1596 times
Next job was to paint it all to tart it up. I've used Hammerite black on the jacking points but painted the turrets in Blaze.

IMG_2451_800.jpg
IMG_2451_800.jpg (110.34 KiB) Viewed 1596 times
IMG_2460_800.jpg
IMG_2460_800.jpg (124.05 KiB) Viewed 1596 times
IMG_2453_800.jpg
IMG_2453_800.jpg (112.28 KiB) Viewed 1596 times
The cross-brace is difficult to photograph but

IMG_2463_800.jpg
IMG_2463_800.jpg (93.95 KiB) Viewed 1596 times
The steering rack will be the first to go back in but that's for later in the week
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:

Vulgalour

Post by Vulgalour » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:42 pm

That welding hood looks really handy! I could have done with that when I got welding splatter down my ear a while ago. Nice work too, and a great solution for the jacking point, I might have to steal that idea further down the line.

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:49 pm

I've not had a good day. Unexpectedly I had a day free so I decided to replace the steering rack. I knew it was going to be awkward putting the column on the rack's splines at the same time as offering up the rack to the body but managed when I devised a Heath Robinson arrangement with a couple of jacks to support the rack, got the column on the splines and then back underneath to attach the trunnions to the body. There's one bolt on one side and two the other. You fit the trunnions to the rack first and then bolt the trunnions to the body. I attached the two-bolted side without too much difficulty but could I attach the single-bolted side? Short answer - No. Luckily the garage is a fair way from neighbourly earshot as the language was a little blue but even that wouldn't make it fit. It's not made any easier as the re-conditioned rack I'm fitting is different to the original. I re-checked the various dimensions which confirmed it should fit. In a very unmanly way I gave in and went and read the workshop manual. That's when I discovered I'd fitted the trunnions to the rack the wrong way round with the 2-bolted one on the wrong side and vice versa. No idea how I did that as everything had been carefully stored in a handed manner on dismantling... It's taken years of practice and skill to become such a twit

I'd had enough for one day but will go through the whole saga again at the week-end hopefully with more success.
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:23 pm

Putting Thursday behind me, I went back to work today and swapped the trunnions over so they were on the correct side. When I changed the trunnion bushes some time ago I used my pit and the job was relatively straightforward. It's a damn site more difficult lying on your back with a lack of room etc but with only a minor amount or cursing got it all back in place and torqued down. Because it's a later design of rack, the pinion cover has a larger hole in it so I'll have to find a solution to that before the carpets go back in.

The rest of the suspension is going back in with out problems although when the battery of my LED torch goes flat I know it's time to knock off. I can't do as much in one go as I used to...

IMG_2466_800.jpg
IMG_2466_800.jpg (140.24 KiB) Viewed 1533 times
IMG_2465_800.jpg
IMG_2465_800.jpg (125.05 KiB) Viewed 1533 times
The offside is now virtually finished. The nearside needs the lower wishbone and brake calliper replacing. I have never been good at removing/replacing the front wing plastic liners. I find them a right fiddle and if I get the front end in I can't get the rear end in and vice versa. I was extremely impressed the other week watching Rovamota replace Beiderbecke's with no problems whatsoever. I'd taken out the n/s liner although, in retrospect, I have no idea why as it didn't get in the way of the welding. A wonderful instrument the retrospectoscope. Whatever, it had to go back and I was thinking of calling on Rovamota but thought I ought to have a go first. Bloody thing went straight in with only a small amount of bonking on the edges required. Not as impressive as Rovamota but not bad all the same.

I should get it all back together tomorrow, famous last words.
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:15 pm

The suspension's all back together and all torqued up, the PAS lines re-connected, which just leaves the tracking to be done following fitting the new rack. The steering wheel has been refitted with the rack centralised and I've even remembered to tighten up the column-to-rack pinch bolt which can easily be forgotten! The suspension has been vacuumed and re-pressurised to roughly the correct height which just leaves the interior to be put back together after I've covered the pivot shaft covering plate to suit the later rack. I'll take some pictures of that when I do that job. It's good to see it sitting on its own feet again.

IMG_2472_800.jpg
IMG_2472_800.jpg (118.04 KiB) Viewed 1507 times
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:32 pm

At last I've got SMG back on the road. I made a bit of a Horlicks of bleeding the PAS (I didn't read the instructions yet again) so the oil all got a bit aerated but have sorted that now. So took her for a test drive. I was just going to go round our estate but then decided I'd go a little bit further. No sounds of creaking at all from the suspension which is fantastic news. It was creaking from where the metal fatigue was way back in the 80s before my wife took the car off the road so I'm chuffed that that seems to be sorted now. When I got back home I remembered why I was only going to go round the block. I had forgotten to put the front number plate back on! I took it off to take some photos for a member who wanted to know how the front number plate should be fitted and had completely forgotten. I'm also going to fit some Square 8's as I think they suit the Wolseley front so need to fabricate some brackets dor the lights which I have had for some time now.

Although it doesn't need an MoT being 44 years old I want to get it tested. I checked all the lights and the reversing lights don't work which is now an MOT fail. I hope this is just a wire off the switch but will investigate tomorrow. I also still need to have the tracking done and then I can book it in.

Then I've got a million jobs to do on Kwackers. Hey ho!
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:

rovamota
Site Admin

Post by rovamota » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:43 pm

Snappy failed its MoT on four stupid ball joint dust covers, an outer CV boot and emissions to high. I'm discounting the rear fog light not working as the tester failed to waggle the switch correctly, and the headlight main beam failure was due to a slightly corroded connection on the multi plug.
Kev Davis.
Club President.
Founder of www.leylandprincess.co.uk.
Owner of unique Princess 2000ST 'Special Tuning'.

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:33 pm

I investigated the reversing light failure. It was not a disconnected wire on the reverse light/inhibitor switch (as I had hoped). When I rebuilt the engine I replaced the end part of the wiring to the switch which had become very brittle. One of the bullet connectors where the new wire joined up with the old harness had become disconnected when I removed the carpets prior to welding so that was an easy fix!
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:27 pm

Waiting to have the tracking done. At least it was a nice warm sunny day.

IMG_3408 (002)_800.jpg
IMG_3408 (002)_800.jpg (103.47 KiB) Viewed 1386 times
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:34 pm

Even though SMG doesn't have to have an MoT now I put it in today and am pleased it passed. The tester was quite kind because apparently when I re-assembled the front suspension a couple of the ball joint seals hadn't been replaced properly which he put down as a minor defect so that's tomorrow's job!

Strangely, as I turned into the MoT station I saw Beiderbecke with Rovamota's Snappy which had also just passed its test. It gave us a chance for a good old chinwag.
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of: