Tahiti Blue Wolseley JLN 748N

Austin, Morris and Wolseley specific items.
stephenmunro

Tahiti Blue Wolseley JLN 748N

Post by stephenmunro » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:21 pm

Hi all just to let you know I managed to buy The Wolseley that was on eBay at the end of July. Bit of a long story but I went to view the car just a couple of days before the auction closed. And yes it’s not in too bad shape all considered so I told the owner I would bid on it. We had also exchanged numbers due to arranging viewing. Anyway I did not win the auction but text and thanked the guy for spending time to show me the Wolseley. A week later while on holiday in Mexico the owner contacted me and said the winning bidder had not contacted him so he would sell it to me if still interested and of course I still wanted it.

So happy days for me, the car has only had two previous owners and has been off the road for 14 years it will need some serious bodywork repairs on the rear wheel arches or new rear Quarters if I can get them.

image4 (002).jpeg
image4 (002).jpeg (62.15 KiB) Viewed 6215 times
image3 (002).jpeg
image3 (002).jpeg (30.72 KiB) Viewed 6215 times
The icing on the cake was that the seller had a second Wolseley a red one LGU 698P that he offered me I wasn’t sure at first if it was actually a Wolseley or HLS with Wolseley bits added. Anyway after some help from Martin with Chassis numbers I confirmed it was in fact built as a Wolseley. (Thanks Martin)

So now I have actually bought two Wolseley’s and have spent the last few days getting them transported form Shropshire to Buckinghamshire. The Blue one is in slightly better shape than the red one and I am currently looking at whether I have the funds to restore both or sell the red one as a project to help fund the Blue ones restoration.

The seller also sold me some NOS parts which will also help with the restoration. I am really excited at the prospect of getting at least one fully restored for summer 2019.
I am going to see if I can recommission the engine brakes etc prior to getting the bodywork and respray carried out in December.
I will send some pictures shortly with further update on my plans.

bigd

Re: Tahiti Blue Wolseley JLN 748N

Post by bigd » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:34 am

good luck in all of your restoration work

Derek

Gasman

Wolseley JLN748N Tahiti Blue Restoration

Post by Gasman » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:14 am

There seems to be a problem posting photos which I'll try and sort out. In the meantime, here are some of Stephen's pictures:
image4 (002).jpeg
image4 (002).jpeg (62.15 KiB) Viewed 6206 times
image2 (002).jpeg
image2 (002).jpeg (29.55 KiB) Viewed 6206 times
image3 (002).jpeg
image3 (002).jpeg (30.72 KiB) Viewed 6206 times
image8 (002).jpeg
image8 (002).jpeg (31.43 KiB) Viewed 6206 times
image8 (002).jpeg
image8 (002).jpeg (31.43 KiB) Viewed 6206 times
image5 (002).jpeg
image5 (002).jpeg (31.18 KiB) Viewed 6206 times
Attachments
JLN784N_6.jpg
JLN784N_6.jpg (115.66 KiB) Viewed 6201 times
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:
Oldest known surviving wedge, hand-built 15th Pre-Production Wolseley in June 1974
Last Ambassador down the line in November 1983, Austin Ambassador VDP

Princess1800s

Post by Princess1800s » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:39 pm

Please do post regular updates - this forum is almost devoid of activity these days and could really use a good project to help restart it back to health.

stephenmunro

Post by stephenmunro » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:25 pm

I will keep all updated on the plans and progress on these two fabulous cars.
I am having a good look at the Tahiti blue car. The reomisioning of the engine is underway and then on to brakes and suspension.
I am busy sourcing parts for the Blue car initially.
The interior is in bit of a sad state it has rips in the rear seat base and on the drivers seat and a cigarette burn on the passenger seat. The headlining is coming away from the roof by the rear window and looks like it has leaked through the rear window at some point.
I am considering what to do it has blue seats and carpets. I am looking at what colour interior options we available for the Wolseley? But would prefer to keep as original if possible.

The Red Wolseley is in my friends yard, I am going up to the Lake District for a week or so yard and I will have a good look at the in a few weeks and will update

stephenmunro

Post by stephenmunro » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:51 pm

Ps had a look at a old brochure and believe was only available in 3 interior colours Navy, Sorrel or Mink Beige is that correct ?

rovamota
Site Admin

Post by rovamota » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:35 am

Yes, only three colour options for the trim. Finding replacements will be very difficult but if you can find a set of blue seats or a complete set of mink trim it would be a bonus.
Kev Davis.
Club President.
Founder of www.leylandprincess.co.uk.
Owner of unique Princess 2000ST 'Special Tuning'.

stephenmunro

Post by stephenmunro » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:39 pm

Kevin thanks that confirms what I thought the red one has black HLS interior fitted so it has been replaced at some time in its life.
Regards
Stephen

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:32 pm

I've got a Blue rear seat squab Wolseley/HLS if you'd like it. It's in good nick albeit there are a couple of slightly flattened bits from where it's had something resting on it whilst I've been storing it. They'll revert now the pressure's off it. Also these normally have a steel bottom not wire like this one. Far too bulky so would need collection from Winchester area.
IMG_2286_800.jpg
IMG_2286_800.jpg (148.03 KiB) Viewed 6104 times
IMG_2287_800.jpg
IMG_2287_800.jpg (143.19 KiB) Viewed 6104 times
IMG_2289_800.jpg
IMG_2289_800.jpg (146.96 KiB) Viewed 6104 times
IMG_2290_800.jpg
IMG_2290_800.jpg (172.78 KiB) Viewed 6104 times
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:
Oldest known surviving wedge, hand-built 15th Pre-Production Wolseley in June 1974

stephenmunro

Post by stephenmunro » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:56 pm

Martin

Would be no problem to collect just let me know what you want for it and will come and collect

Many thanks
Regards
Stephen

stephenmunro

Post by stephenmunro » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:13 am

Martin

Apologies In my haste to respond last night I may have sounded a bit casual In my post.
I can’t believe my luck in getting a seat squab in navy.

I was pondering on what I could do re repairs to the rear and drivers seats etc and now this will half my seat issues.
Yes please I would like to purchase this item just let me know where and how much and I will arrange to drive down and collect it.
Many thanks again

Best Regards

Stephen

wolseleywedge

Post by wolseleywedge » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:35 pm

Hi Stephen,

There is a *chance* that I have a set of navy velour seats, which originally came out of a P reg Tahiti Blue Wolseley which was scrapped years and years ago.

Sorry to be vague, they are stored at the other side of the country (Edinburgh) from where I live now (Beverley) and I won't be in a position to be back up there visiting until late October.

I'm more than happy to take a look for you at that point, take some photos and see what you think. My Wolseley is in Brazil metallic with the sorrel coloured seats, so I am unlikely to even need the navy set. I only kept them in case a situation such as yours ever cropped up. I had a spare set of tahiti blue doors once too which I sold to someone with a Tahiti Blue Wolseley - I wonder if it is the car you have now bought?

There *may* also be some other interior trim items that colour code to the navy interior, but again I would need to look to check.

Just give me a shout if you are interested and I'll happily have a look when I'm back there end of next month.

Regards,
Chris

stephenmunro

Post by stephenmunro » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:40 pm

Chris

I would be very grateful if you could let me know what you have in Navy as my interior does look rather tired.

I understand you won’t be up there until late next month but no worries I am not in a rush as will be getting th main restoration on bodywork and respray early in new year.

So yeah just let me know when you’ve been up there what you have in navy and we can take it from there.

How long have you had your Wolseley do you have any pictures would love to see it.

Many thanks

Best Regards

Stephen

wolseleywedge

Post by wolseleywedge » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:12 pm

Hi Stephen,

Okidoke, I'll be in touch once I know what I've got - seems a good time to conduct my own inventory of what's there.

I've had my car since 2004. I started looking for a Wolseley in 2000 after seeing the Fawlty Towers episode with a brazil metallic auto driven by Ken Campbell.

Totally by chance the car I found was also a brazil metallic auto.

It has an interesting history, if you like that sort of thing. It was originally the demonstrator model at a small BL dealership in Sedbergh, Cumbria. The dealership was actually too small to be entitled to a Wolseley, despite requesting one, so the owner of the dealership went and bought his own Citroen DS to drive around the town in. At some stage the Leyland rep was visiting and had a fit when he saw the DS parked on the lot - after the reason was explained to him he made a call and a week later a Wolseley was dispatched to the Leyland distribution centre in Carlisle for the dealership to collect. This was about 2 weeks before the change from 18-22 to Princess. They put their own private plate on it when it was registered, so it has only ever had that number plate. This is a photo of the car at the day it was first registered, 01/09/75

They kept the car and used it until the mid-late '80s when it went off the road in their garage. Because they were a dealer they could fit various aftermarket Leyland or approved extras, so it was fitted with a radio cassette, door speakers, electric windows, a sunroof, front and rear bumper overriders and a cruise control system (which no longer works) and was ziebarted. Mileage sits at around 68k.

The car is undercover and I don't have any recent photos on this computer, but I've added some older ones below. The photos significantly flatter the car. She's solid underneath but, one of these days, I need to replace the wings etc and deal with the copious volumes of rust, she has a lot of filler and touch up paint over many years and its fair to say she is now looking quite tired. I've been saying for years that I'd get her sorted out, with the kids a bit older now perhaps its the time to start eh...!

All the best,
Chris

wolseleywedge

Post by wolseleywedge » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:29 pm

Found these as well

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:17 pm

Stephen, I have emailed you details.
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:

stephenmunro

Post by stephenmunro » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:27 pm

Chris
Thanks for posting your pictures.
The Brazil metallic is such a 70s colour and looks great on your Wolseley. You have great history on the car which is always good to have and interesting stuff. I am sure you will get time at some point to do some tidying up but it’s a special car there are not too may left ( not sure how many someone may know?)
Are your electric windows the box that fits over the winder cog? as I saw one on a car at a show once.

Best Regards
Stephen

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:52 pm

I know of 21 Wolseleys in total still surviving although by no means all roadworthy. The Wolseley Register apparently know of more than 40...

The ones that I know. If you click on the registration (of most them) there is a photo as well (many of which are quite old):

http://www.nancekievill.com/Wolseley.htm
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:

stephenmunro

Post by stephenmunro » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:45 pm

Martin

Very informative as ever.
Does anyone know what happened to KYT13P I was trying to buy it but owner had a few poeple interested,not sure if anyone was brave enough to take it on.
Kev told me he thought it would fall in half when pulled out from its resting place.
I hope it has gone to someone who will restore it but think it would be a challenge! to say the least.

Best Regards

Stephen

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:47 pm

I don't know what happened to KYT13P. The owner seemed to have slightly unrealistic views about its worth. A former Wolseley owner & member looked at the car 10-15 years ago and thought it was a wreck then, He bought a much better and cheaper model!

Anyone else know?
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:

stephenmunro

Post by stephenmunro » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:14 pm

So in my original post I let you know I had purchased two Wolseley's. I am concentrating on the Tahiti blue one and will update shortly on progress, I have made some progress I am pleased to say. However I sent off for Heritage factory records for both. The Flamenco red one has come back and states it was originally fitted with Mink interior.
My question is what colour door cards and dash board would it have had and (long shot I know)but does anyone know where I can get hold of a mink interior.

Best Regards
Stephen

beiderbecke

Post by beiderbecke » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:17 pm

I have a set of four 1981 model HLS Mink doorcards - they are for sale through the club for £20.

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:56 am

I've got a bit confused Stephen: JLN, the Tahiti one has a Blue interior. What colour is the interior currently on the Red one? I was assuming Blue also. Although of course it is perfectly feasible that someone may have changed the interior colour it just seems a little odd to me. It's a moderate amount of work, albeit relatively simple, to change all the dashboard, seats, carpet, door cards & parcel shelf although I guess the Heritage records must be correct.

On the Wolseley, Flamenco was available with Navy trim, Moonstone fascia, Navy carpets, Gold coachline & Black roof, or with Mink trim, Brown fascia, Safari carpets, Gold coachline & Black roof.

The club has 4 x HLS Mink door pulls & a brown parcel shelf.
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:

stephenmunro

Post by stephenmunro » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:44 pm

Martin
Sorry for the confusion
Yes the Tahiti Blue on has Navy interior which I am cleaning up and replacing some bits as I can get them. BTW the seat squab I got from you looks great in the car.

The Flamenco Wolseley LGU698P I applied for a heritage certificate and as sated it had Mink interior from the factory

It currently has a black HLS interior fitted. It has black door cards black dash surround and glove box with black carpets. I guess someone must have changed it all. I was just looking to source the correct interior to sell with the car as I don’t think I have the funds to restore both. If I cant get the mink seats which I am doubtful I will be able to get I will sell as is. But the colour and trim options you provided really help I now know what I would need.

Many thanks

Stephen

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:41 pm

a propos my PM:

IMG_2034_800.jpg
IMG_2034_800.jpg (132.39 KiB) Viewed 388 times
IMG_2036_800.jpg
IMG_2036_800.jpg (101.24 KiB) Viewed 388 times
IMG_2037_800.jpg
IMG_2037_800.jpg (99.83 KiB) Viewed 388 times
IMG_2038_800.jpg
IMG_2038_800.jpg (96.36 KiB) Viewed 388 times
IMG_2039_800.jpg
IMG_2039_800.jpg (103.42 KiB) Viewed 388 times
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:

stephenmunro

Post by stephenmunro » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:23 pm

Martin
Many thanks that’s great the look excellent!

I will send money via PayPal

Best Regards
Steve

stephenmunro

Post by stephenmunro » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:56 pm

Martin

Ps sent payment👍

Best Regards

Steve