Wheel Nuts

All Princess models specific items.
Monte92

Wheel Nuts

Post by Monte92 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:10 pm

I am having issues with my front N/S wheel nuts coming loose, just by about an eighth of a turn after a treasonable run, 50 miles or so. I have never experienced this before on any car. I am using a spider brace to tighten, but getting a bit stumped now, thinking of trying Loctite , any views or thoughts would be welcome!
John

Gasman

Re: Wheel Nuts

Post by Gasman » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:59 pm

How peculiar, John. Never heard of that before. Is this a new phenomenon or has it always been there since you bought the car? is it all the nuts on that wheel? My first thought was that the nuts might not have the correct taper on them so they can't seat properly (or even an incorrect wheel) but that would have been the case since you bought the car. I shall refrain from suggesting you haven't tightened them up correctly!
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:
Oldest known surviving wedge, hand-built 15th Pre-Production Wolseley in June 1974
Last Ambassador down the line in November 1983, Austin Ambassador VDP

Monte92

Post by Monte92 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:14 pm

No it started after Gaydon, I swapped the front wheels to cure a very slight pull to the left , since then they seem to work lose, if you rock the wheel from the top you can just feel it. I can’t find any torque figures but I have never ever had this before on any day.
Going to get the wheels balanced tomorrow as there is a shimmy at 60 and it’s after a faster run that it happens , I’ll see if that fixes it, if not swap the spare out and look for a set of nuts 😁

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:30 pm

Keep us informed. Hope the wheel balancers can think of a solution. Torque figure is 45 lbs ft or 63 Nm
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:
Oldest known surviving wedge, hand-built 15th Pre-Production Wolseley in June 1974
Last Ambassador down the line in November 1983, Austin Ambassador VDP

beiderbecke

Post by beiderbecke » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:20 pm

:!: Your problem is quite unique in my experience - this question has been discussed in another monthly publication where right-handed nuts could become loose on the offside of the vehicle but surely both wheels would be affected? BTWDIK... I'm assuming these are steel wheels? I might have a set of suitable wheel nuts for these. Are all the nuts of the same style?

Monte92

Post by Monte92 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:27 pm

Hi, well i think it was the steel wheel itself, looks like the holes have enlarged slightly the face where the nuts tighten were really shiny as if they were moving about. I had the wheels balanced but made no difference, in the end put the spare on and problem is solved , at some point ill replace the wheel but will put a few more miles on it over the weekend and double check everything on Tuesday when we get back from Norfolk. if its working lose again i may need some replacement nuts !