Front suspension squeak

All Princess models specific items.
daver

Front suspension squeak

Post by daver » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:56 pm

I have been have trouble with the front near side suspension. It has been sagging in that quarter and I assumed there was a leak in the suspension.
There is also a very annoying squeak from that side. Having found someone with the kit to pump it up I asked them to look for leaks and the squeak.
They said the squeak was coming from where the displacer connects to the upper suspension arm.
I am wondering if the sag in the suspension is caused by wear in that area rather than an oil leak. That would also explain the squeak.
Getting the suspension arm out is quite a job but my question is this : Can I take out the displacer without dismantling the suspension arm and are the parts available?

beiderbecke

Re: Front suspension squeak

Post by beiderbecke » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:29 pm

Unfortunately the top suspension arm has to come off. It's a relatively easy job to do - a front displacer can be removed and replaced well within an hour but rear ones are a different kettle of fish! Suspension fluid evaporates over time and so a leak might not be visible - have the pipes been checked all the way under the car? Sounds like the squeak is coming from the knuckle joint on the end of the displacer though on my wedge the displacer itself is squeaking but it's ok. Have they been regassed?

daver

Post by daver » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:48 am

That's what I thought. The units have been re gassed.
My wedge is an auto and the book says the alternator has to come off to get at the pivot for the upper arm.
I can see the nut in the engine compartment but how do I get at the other end?
I have to let the fluid out I suppose. And it remains to be seen where the damage is on the knuckle joint.

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:32 pm

Sorry you're in trouble again, Daver. I remember you had trouble back in 2018 and in the end went to Ian & Dawn Kennedy who sorted it out when they re-gassed the displacers. This does mean that all the joints have recently been undone which is a help. Back in 2018 Beiderbecke posted this brief tutorial what to do:
Inside the engine bay undo the nut (nearest the offside wing) that secures the suspension pipe to the displacer, under the wing release and remove the top balljoint nut (careful, leave it on a few threads and support the bottom arm) on the top of the suspension, remove the four bolts securing the bump/rebound bracket, remove the large bolt that goes through the bulkhead (30mm nut is in engine bay and bolt goes into interior) and holds the upper arm in place, remove the upper balljoint nut, remove the upper arm and wiggle the displacer out.

When the replacement displacer is fitted and most parts tightened, before tightening the large nut in the engine bay jack up the front suspension until the measurement from wheel arch to hub centre is 14.5 inches.

I think that's it...45 minutes at most.
To answer your specific questions.

1. I have never had to remove the alternator to get at the big suspension nut on my 2200 auto.

2. The bolt head (that the big nut screws onto) is in the passenger compartment. Pull back the carpet and you will see a large square headed bolt head on the toeboard. Once the nut is undone this bolt can be withdrawn after the top ball joint is split.

3. Yes, you need to de-pressurize the system on the affected side. Make sure you have a jack under the car before you do this as, once the suspension completely collapses, there is very little ground clearance.

Somewhere on the forum I think there is a tutorial with photos (probably by Vulgalour) although I cant immediately find it.

As Beiderbecke says, it is not a difficult job if you are used to doing mechanical things but if not, as an alternative, if you don't wish to tackle this yourself, why not ask Ian Kennedy whether he can help. This squeak is not related to the work he has done so it would need to be a new transaction but he can only say no! As to the cause of the squeak, it may indeed be the knuckle joint but I had a displacer that was squeaking internally. I only cured it by changing the displacer.

It does occur to me that you live not far from me (I live just south of Winchester) and if you came over to me at a mutually convenient time I could help you with the work.

Whichever route you take, good luck.
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:
Oldest known surviving wedge, hand-built 15th Pre-Production Wolseley in June 1974
Last Ambassador down the line in November 1983, Austin Ambassador VDP

daver

Post by daver » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:05 pm

Thanks for all your help. I have spoken to Ian Kennedy and he thinks I need to add glycerin to the fluid.
I have plenty to think about. Can't do anything this weekend because of the weather.

daver

Post by daver » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:08 pm

On reflection I think I can either replace the displacer unit or put up with the squeak. As I don't have the kit to pump up the hydraulics I will put up with the squeak for the moment. If I decide to replace it then I have to get a replacement unit from Ian and borrow some kit. I may take up Martin's offer of some assistance if I go down that route.