Displacers and towbar

All Princess models specific items.
Peter Laursen

Displacers and towbar

Post by Peter Laursen » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:00 pm

Just a little news about my Princess 2200HLS 1975: About 1½ years ago I thought that the springing effect of the displacers was disappearing. I decided it was time for regassing. On examination I found that one of the rear displacers was punctured and contained liquid instead gas. Luckily I had another in stock. I did the regassing myself, and I must say I have been pleased with the result. The car has been transformed, and the ride is very comfortable.
On another topic I have just installed a tow bar, and therefore the car needed an MOT, which was fine, as time for the Danish MOT (which is every 8 years for classic cars) came close. Only fault was a worn ball joint at the front wheel. This is now fixed, and I can drive the car for the next 8 years.

Gasman

Re: Displacers and towbar

Post by Gasman » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:39 pm

Thanks for the update. Clever you re-gassing your own displacers. It's certainly a worthwhile exercise. Interesting that the MoT is every 8 years in Denmark. A lot can go wrong in 8 years! UK is now MoT completely exempt for cars older than 40 years. Bonkers in my view!
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:
Oldest known surviving wedge, hand-built 15th Pre-Production Wolseley in June 1974
Last Ambassador down the line in November 1983, Austin Ambassador VDP

Peter Laursen

Post by Peter Laursen » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:40 pm

I can add that after initial settling the body trim height has not changed. I agree that 8 years between MOT is a long time. This should be compared with two years in Denmark for modern cars, but still it is a long time.

Peter Laursen

Post by Peter Laursen » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:41 am

Further to my problems with the punctured gas diaphragm. First of all, I could hear something rattling inside the displacer. I decided to investigate what was wrong. I therefore cut off the nitrogen chamber, and the reason for the puncture became obvious. The damper valve had separated, and the thin bolt in the part had punctured the diaphragm.
The pictures show the problem. The amount of rust in the nitrogen chamber indicates, the puncture has been there for a long time.

Peter

Diaphragm with damper valve:
Image15 by Peter Laursen, on Flickr

Diaphragm and damper valve separated:
Image16 by Peter Laursen, on Flickr

Nitrogen chamber and diaphragm:
Image18 by Peter Laursen, on Flickr