Displacers and towbar

All Princess models specific items.
Peter Laursen

Displacers and towbar

Post by Peter Laursen » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:00 pm

Just a little news about my Princess 2200HLS 1975: About 1½ years ago I thought that the springing effect of the displacers was disappearing. I decided it was time for regassing. On examination I found that one of the rear displacers was punctured and contained liquid instead gas. Luckily I had another in stock. I did the regassing myself, and I must say I have been pleased with the result. The car has been transformed, and the ride is very comfortable.
On another topic I have just installed a tow bar, and therefore the car needed an MOT, which was fine, as time for the Danish MOT (which is every 8 years for classic cars) came close. Only fault was a worn ball joint at the front wheel. This is now fixed, and I can drive the car for the next 8 years.

Gasman

Re: Displacers and towbar

Post by Gasman » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:39 pm

Thanks for the update. Clever you re-gassing your own displacers. It's certainly a worthwhile exercise. Interesting that the MoT is every 8 years in Denmark. A lot can go wrong in 8 years! UK is now MoT completely exempt for cars older than 40 years. Bonkers in my view!
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:
Oldest known surviving wedge, hand-built 15th Pre-Production Wolseley in June 1974
Last Ambassador down the line in November 1983, Austin Ambassador VDP

Peter Laursen

Re: Displacers and towbar

Post by Peter Laursen » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:40 pm

I can add that after initial settling the body trim height has not changed. I agree that 8 years between MOT is a long time. This should be compared with two years in Denmark for modern cars, but still it is a long time.