Another part number enquiry

All Princess models specific items.
Simon M

Another part number enquiry

Post by Simon M » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:49 pm

I've been asked to try and source a 'back of crankshaft driveplate' for my 2200hls auto. Apparently mine is cracked right through.... The garage described it as the plate at the back of the crankshaft that the torque converter connects to... So, looking at a photo of a diagram (not so clear) I'm trying to work out what I need to try and find!! I think it may be the "plate assembly - adaptor" for auto models. Then I can't make out the part number - maybe 88G 586?

If that is the correct number I'm buggered if I can find one!! Or should that be even more buggered if I can't find one!! Can anyone please confirm my view that this is the correct part and part number? Any thoughts on where I might find one??

Thanks as ever!

beiderbecke

Re: Another part number enquiry

Post by beiderbecke » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:28 pm

;) Yes that seems to be the right number but Gasman caught me out last time...

beiderbecke

Post by beiderbecke » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:46 pm

If it is the aluminium part that is cracked how the devil did it get so?

Simon M

Post by Simon M » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:18 pm

Well, that's a very good question... and obviously just a part of a significant mystery as to what happened to the autobox before I took the car on.... Fingers crossed when it's all back and working in a few weeks, and assuming I haven't had to sell myself into slavery to pay for it... I'll tell you all what we have found along the way to getting the car working again!!

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:19 pm

If I can be so bold, I don't think you are after the plate assembly adapter which is the aluminium moulding that fits between the torque converter housing and the engine block. It is not a moving part. I am presuming you want the plate-drive-converter. This is a round flat piece of steel that attaches, as you describe, to the crankshaft on one side and the torque converter on the other side. These are known to crack (albeit I don't know what actually causes that). That part number is 22H 1177. It is the same part for O series autos and also B series including, I believe, the Landcrab.

The bad news is these are quite difficult to come by. The good news is the club does have a used one from an O series (as I say, the same part number as for the 6 cylinder)

IMG_1839_600.jpg
IMG_1839_600.jpg (96.79 KiB) Viewed 687 times
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:
Oldest known surviving wedge, hand-built 15th Pre-Production Wolseley in June 1974
Last Ambassador down the line in November 1983, Austin Ambassador VDP

Simon M

Post by Simon M » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:05 pm

Regrettably, as I suspect that the fixed aluminium piece is even more hard to come by than the steel one you have pictured above, I do not think that this is what I'm after.... I will however check this next week when I get back in touch with the garage to be absolutely sure! Thanks for the suggestions...

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:39 pm

The garage described it as the plate at the back of the crankshaft that the torque converter connects to...
The used steel plate we have fits exactly that description and is prone to cracking. The aluminium bit neither connects to the crankshaft nor the torque converter!
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:
Oldest known surviving wedge, hand-built 15th Pre-Production Wolseley in June 1974

Simon M

Post by Simon M » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:44 pm

I hear you... I'm confused by the fact that he said it was aluminium... You posted a screen shot/scan of the various 2200 components on my question the other day about crankshaft oil seals where there was some debate over the correct part number for the automatic version of the car. To help my understanding of precisely where this fits when I discuss it with the garage, is the steel plate you are describing shown on this diagram?
Thanks!

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:00 pm

Ah! You didn't say in your original post that it was aluminium!

The steel drive plate is not on that diagram. If you look at this picture from the workshop manual:

IMG_1841_800.jpg
IMG_1841_800.jpg (160.03 KiB) Viewed 656 times

The drive plate is obvious from my previous photo, It is one of the items labelled 4. The aluminium adapter plate is not labelled but the oil seal 7 fits into it You can see that it is rigidly attached to the engine block with 6 x bolts.

Perhaps your garage could let you have a photo of what you require although my money is on the steel plate...
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of: