Engine/crankshaft breather filter 2200 auto

All Princess models specific items.
Simon M

Engine/crankshaft breather filter 2200 auto

Post by Simon M » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:37 pm

I am going to attempt to replace my fuel pump at the weekend if the rain ever stops.... But I read somewhere that a common cause of pump failure is caused by a blocked engine breather filter and that it is recommended to clean or replace it before fitting a new pump.

So... and to make sure I have all of the bits that i need to do the job, can anyone tell me if there are any consumable parts needed to do this, or is the filter a take it out and clean it job? In my last 'classic' the filter was built into the oil filler cap, but not on the E6 engine as I understand it? If there is a replaceable component, could someone please provide a part number?

Thanks as ever!

Gasman

Re: Engine/crankshaft breather filter 2200 auto

Post by Gasman » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:13 pm

We've had the rain easy down south compared with the poor people in Yorkshire!

I've never heard that one before about the breather filter but then, what do I know. The breather part number is CHM36 and they are not difficult to get hold of. I don't understand why changing this should make any difference as crankshaft pressure can also vent up through the timing chain aperture to the rocker cover which is vented to both carburettors. Whatever.

Personally, I always use Hylomar on all surfaces of the fuel pump gaskets and spacer as it is a common oil leak source.
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:
Oldest known surviving wedge, hand-built 15th Pre-Production Wolseley in June 1974
Last Ambassador down the line in November 1983, Austin Ambassador VDP

Simon M

Post by Simon M » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:14 pm

Thanks Martin, for the sake of £5 I'll go ahead and renew it, who knows when it was last done so it certainly won't hurt!

I'll look out for Hylomar which I've not used before.... Judging by a few weepy new gaskets it's an overdue purchase...

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:11 pm

Other gasket sealants are available. Hylomar is just my personal favourite.
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:
Oldest known surviving wedge, hand-built 15th Pre-Production Wolseley in June 1974
Last Ambassador down the line in November 1983, Austin Ambassador VDP