A500KWK

Ambassador specific items.
beiderbecke

Re: A500KWK

Post by beiderbecke » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:05 pm

Thank you, Gasman, for your kind words about the banner I made for you (other corners and paint colours are available...)

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:38 pm

Job completed with everything back in the car and fully functional. So, in summary, the fuel tank has been cleaned out and sealed. A new genuine BL NOS sender unit with new genuine BL pump has been fitted. All rubber piping up to the carburettors has been renewed although steel piping remains. Yet another new fuel filter put in (the old one had more crud in it than I had thought from casual visual inspection). The fuel pump relay has been swapped and a new oil pressure sensor fitted. I'm not sure there is anything else to change in the fuel delivery department so I am hoping this will cure the problem. Time will tell.

Whilst I was at it I've changed the oil & oil filter and also the antifreeze so should be all set for while (although there's always something....)
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:
Oldest known surviving wedge, hand-built 15th Pre-Production Wolseley in June 1974
Last Ambassador down the line in November 1983, Austin Ambassador VDP

belleprincesse

Post by belleprincesse » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:22 pm

I shall have to do exactly the same thing to make my Princess go...could you give me spare parts number for the sender unit and fuel pump ? I think, I shall replace all the steel - piping by copper ones...they will outlast me then.

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:21 am

belleprincesse: The fuel sender part number is FAM3348 and the fuel pump is DRC195.
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:
Oldest known surviving wedge, hand-built 15th Pre-Production Wolseley in June 1974

VauxPartsUK

Post by VauxPartsUK » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:11 am

Another interesting read guys :) well done, keep up the good work :)

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:45 pm

KWacKers has blotted her copy book.

I am sure some of you will have seen Hubnut's test of SMG on YouTube (There have been 90,000 viewings so far!), being part one of a comparison with KWacKers - the oldest surviving against the youngest wedge. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWZWukWzO6A&t=77s ). Unfortunately, Mr Hubnut lost all his film files of the footage of the Ambassador so he came back today to re-film that bit. I had checked that the car was running fine and put a bit of BP Ultimate in the tank. Mr Hubnut arrived and drove off in KWacKers. He came back about 3/4 an hour later saying he was having a bit of trouble with poor running and misfiring. On examination it was running incredibly richly, wouldn't idle and was misfiring, coughing & spluttering on acceleration. Virtually undriveable. Plugs 1,3 & 4 were as black as a chimney. Plug 2 is hidden by the dizzy so I couldn't be bothered to get that one out. I wondered if this was related to filling up and I did just wonder if I had put diesel in by mistake but it was fine going home from the garage. There is only one unleaded 97 Octane pump at the garage which is where I filled up from and the receipt did say unleaded on it!

I had had the carbs re-jetted on a dynamometer a couple of weeks ago (the standard carburettors are set up, of course, for the fuel available in the 80s. Modern petrol is far more volatile and really requires different jets). The car, following that, was running much leaner and was more lively and driveable too. So what's gone wrong and how come it's now running so rich?

Answers on a postcard please. I'm assuming it's to do with the dreaded ASU but it seems a very sudden failure. I'll do a bit more investigation tomorrow.

Very frustrating for Mr Hubnut (the poor chap had come 200 miles for goodness sake!) although he was phlegmatic enough to say it was his fauilt anyway for losing the original files! Not sure when he's going to be able to re-re-film as he's off to New Zealand for 5 months in a couple of weeks.... Part 2 of the saga is obviously going to have to wait.
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of: