A500KWK

Ambassador specific items.
beiderbecke

Re: A500KWK

Post by beiderbecke » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:05 pm

Thank you, Gasman, for your kind words about the banner I made for you (other corners and paint colours are available...)

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:38 pm

Job completed with everything back in the car and fully functional. So, in summary, the fuel tank has been cleaned out and sealed. A new genuine BL NOS sender unit with new genuine BL pump has been fitted. All rubber piping up to the carburettors has been renewed although steel piping remains. Yet another new fuel filter put in (the old one had more crud in it than I had thought from casual visual inspection). The fuel pump relay has been swapped and a new oil pressure sensor fitted. I'm not sure there is anything else to change in the fuel delivery department so I am hoping this will cure the problem. Time will tell.

Whilst I was at it I've changed the oil & oil filter and also the antifreeze so should be all set for while (although there's always something....)
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:
Oldest known surviving wedge, hand-built 15th Pre-Production Wolseley in June 1974
Last Ambassador down the line in November 1983, Austin Ambassador VDP

belleprincesse

Post by belleprincesse » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:22 pm

I shall have to do exactly the same thing to make my Princess go...could you give me spare parts number for the sender unit and fuel pump ? I think, I shall replace all the steel - piping by copper ones...they will outlast me then.

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:21 am

belleprincesse: The fuel sender part number is FAM3348 and the fuel pump is DRC195.
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:
Oldest known surviving wedge, hand-built 15th Pre-Production Wolseley in June 1974

VauxPartsUK

Post by VauxPartsUK » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:11 am

Another interesting read guys :) well done, keep up the good work :)

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:45 pm

KWacKers has blotted her copy book.

I am sure some of you will have seen Hubnut's test of SMG on YouTube (There have been 90,000 viewings so far!), being part one of a comparison with KWacKers - the oldest surviving against the youngest wedge. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWZWukWzO6A&t=77s ). Unfortunately, Mr Hubnut lost all his film files of the footage of the Ambassador so he came back today to re-film that bit. I had checked that the car was running fine and put a bit of BP Ultimate in the tank. Mr Hubnut arrived and drove off in KWacKers. He came back about 3/4 an hour later saying he was having a bit of trouble with poor running and misfiring. On examination it was running incredibly richly, wouldn't idle and was misfiring, coughing & spluttering on acceleration. Virtually undriveable. Plugs 1,3 & 4 were as black as a chimney. Plug 2 is hidden by the dizzy so I couldn't be bothered to get that one out. I wondered if this was related to filling up and I did just wonder if I had put diesel in by mistake but it was fine going home from the garage. There is only one unleaded 97 Octane pump at the garage which is where I filled up from and the receipt did say unleaded on it!

I had had the carbs re-jetted on a dynamometer a couple of weeks ago (the standard carburettors are set up, of course, for the fuel available in the 80s. Modern petrol is far more volatile and really requires different jets). The car, following that, was running much leaner and was more lively and driveable too. So what's gone wrong and how come it's now running so rich?

Answers on a postcard please. I'm assuming it's to do with the dreaded ASU but it seems a very sudden failure. I'll do a bit more investigation tomorrow.

Very frustrating for Mr Hubnut (the poor chap had come 200 miles for goodness sake!) although he was phlegmatic enough to say it was his fauilt anyway for losing the original files! Not sure when he's going to be able to re-re-film as he's off to New Zealand for 5 months in a couple of weeks.... Part 2 of the saga is obviously going to have to wait.
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:25 am

I have been investigating KWacKers and came to the conclusion it had to be the ASU. All plugs were running equally very, very rich. Ign & valve timing correct. Compressions all good and equal (albeit I couldn't measure cylinder 2 unless I removed the distributor which I couldn't be bothered to do. Whoever thought putting the distributor immediately above no 2 spark plug was a good idea). Thus, surely it has to be the ASU.

I duly removed the ASU with the carbs in situ and put on my replacement NOS unit. However, try as I might, I was unable to tighten the retaining screws very tight. As I expected, when connecting the fuel pipe it leaked like a sieve so I took the carbs off so I could tighten the 4 bolts properly. That duly done and everything re-assembled it started first time and would now tick over. However, when fully warm it is coughing a bit on low revs acceleration with poor pick up. Definitely not right but at least it's running now.

I fully accept that the ASU is a bit of black magic to me as I don't really know how it works other than being an extra carburettor which switches off by bimetallic strips... On dismantling there are 3 diaphragms in the system: one on the air jet which looked fine and an upper & lower one on the fuel side. The upper one had a load of black gunge on it but otherwise looks in tact but the lower one does not look in tact & I presume is the cause of the failure.

I do have a manual choke conversion but there are a few little, but presumably vital, bits missing! I am still tempted to get rid of the ASU even though I've got a NOS unit on it now...

IMG_1860_800.jpg
IMG_1860_800.jpg (159.79 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
IMG_1858_800.jpg
IMG_1858_800.jpg (171.98 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:

beiderbecke

Post by beiderbecke » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:43 pm

The bottom picture of a diaphragm looks like it is perished with cracks plus a blister? BTWDIK...

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:48 pm

Yep. I am assuming this was the problem.
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:34 am

I have been assessing what's wrong with the running on KWacKers. I need to get it sorted as it's on the Vanden Plas Owners' Club stand at the NEC next week and that's 125 miles away with a stranger to the car driving it there!

Cold start was OK and running reasonably OK until warm. Then, when warm, tick over was OK, but v poor low speed pick up although seemed reasonable above about 3,000 rpm. Very lumpy on the overrun which has always been a problem with KWacKers but worse than usual. On turning off the engine ran on. To me, all signs of a weak mixture.

Armed with this info I took the car to my friendly local SU (& other carbs) wizard with a rolling road. The mixture was very weak below 3,000 but absolutely fine at an indicated 100 mph on the RR (round about 5,000 rpm)! He took the dashpots off and performed a bit of black magic on the needles and put it back on the rolling road. Amazingly, this seemed to sort all the problems.

Incidentally, a top tip from him, use hydraulic (jack) oil in the dashpots. 3in1 (which is what I've always used) is too thin, engine oil too thick.

Road test = best it's ever run! Even better he didn't charge me! Let's hope the improvement is maintained.
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:

VauxPartsUK

Post by VauxPartsUK » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:59 pm

Good news after all that trouble then, i did see some video one of you guys posted the other day and shared to my facebook wall to show me pals who knew i had this prior :)

Vulgalour

Post by Vulgalour » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:02 pm

That is good news! Top tip on the dashpots too.