NOS Parts Availability Anywhere?

Ambassador specific items.
mbwoy84

NOS Parts Availability Anywhere?

Post by mbwoy84 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:57 pm

Hello,

I own a 1983 Austin Ambassador HL 2.0 Twin Carb. It's never been welded and I've given it some serious anti-corrosion treatment to try to ensure that it won't require any in the forseeable future, and the interior looks like it's never been sat in. Unfortunately, there are a few parts that will need some attention though.

Is there anyone/anywhere that may possible have a complete NOS exhaust system?

I'm also looking for the black plastic trim that sits behind the rear wheelarch on the OS as mine has a split in it.

Finally, the chrome-look plastic trim that runs around the roof gutter rails has faded and I think the chances of finding NOS or unmarked replacement parts are very slim indeed, so does anyone know of a paint/coating or method of restoring these that will look correct to OE spec.

Many Thanks

Mike

100 Club

Re: NOS Parts Availability Anywhere?

Post by 100 Club » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:27 pm

Hi Mike, and welcome: it's good to see yet another new Ambassador owner (there has been a recent surge in new Ambassador owners on here!)

Exhaust systems turn up occasionally on eBay, so you could be waiting a while. Many owners seem to be getting stainless systems made for their cars now: if you search the forum you should find some more information on that.

I have read somewhere else that the chrome effect gutter trim for the FX4 taxi is a very close match for that used on Allegro, Marina, Princess and Ambassador (it makes sense, based on the good old BL parts bin of the 1970s!).
It is also readily available.

Hope that helps

Paul
Princess 2 2000HL, Reynard metallic
Princess 100 Club Special

Daily drive: MG ZR Trophy 115 TD

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

beiderbecke

Post by beiderbecke » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:10 pm

Earlpart Ltd supplied them but I think they have been taken over by others - :?: think it might be Longbridge Motor Spares (longbridgeltd@btinternet.com or 07495 443549. They were available in mild steel but also in stainless steel but 60% extra.

My list is from 2009 and the 2-box back section was £147 but quite a bit more now I think...

mbwoy84

Post by mbwoy84 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:47 am

Thanks for your help.

I've owned the car for a couple of years now.

I have e-mailed Longbridge Motor Spares and have been told they might have something, but can't check until Friday, so to get back in touch then.

I've ordered some of the FX4 Trim, so fingers crossed that works!

Thanks Again

Mike

mbwoy84

Post by mbwoy84 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:37 pm

beiderbecke wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:10 pm
Earlpart Ltd supplied them but I think they have been taken over by others - :?: think it might be Longbridge Motor Spares (longbridgeltd@btinternet.com or 07495 443549. They were available in mild steel but also in stainless steel but 60% extra.

My list is from 2009 and the 2-box back section was £147 but quite a bit more now I think...
They’ve got one for me. It’s £145. Happy with that.

I’ve also ordered some of the Chrome effect trim.

All I need now (for now) is the black plastic trim piece for by the rear wheelarch and the car should be showroom fresh again.

Tony c

Post by Tony c » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:43 am

Assuming you still need one? I may have the wheel arch protector for you, I will be going to my storage place later today so I will look.

mr_drewerz

Post by mr_drewerz » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:31 pm

Hi Mike. Mike here.

I'm also new to this forum. I just recently managed to score a NOS Unipart front pipe for my Ambassador. Thankfully the rear section is solid, but the front pipe had fractured at the joint. It may be repairable, but I won't know until I take it off. I'm just in the middle of some serious welding repairs on mine before I get to the exhaust.

I got it from Macs Factors, in Kings Lynn. It wasn't cheap, £125, but that's the only one I was able to find. I don't know how many others he may have but it is definitely worth giving him a shout.

I'm actually after some of the chrome gutter trim for mine too.

Regards,
Mike.

MrAmbassadorMan

Post by MrAmbassadorMan » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:46 am

Please I urge anyone not to use Macs Factors, he ripped me off a few years ago took my money and did not supply me with all the parts I had paid for. Ignored my communication when trying to contact, Scumbag of the highest order

MrAmbassadorMan

Post by MrAmbassadorMan » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:54 am

Macs factors on yell: https://www.yell.com/biz/macs-factors-k ... errorBlock

I had to re-add my review because he had it removed obviously. he ripped me off circa 2014

mbwoy84

Post by mbwoy84 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:12 pm

Tony c wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:43 am
Assuming you still need one? I may have the wheel arch protector for you, I will be going to my storage place later today so I will look.
Perfect, thank you very much!

Longbridge are looking for a front pipe this week. They think they should have one, just can’t locate it at the moment!

mr_drewerz

Post by mr_drewerz » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:50 pm

MrAmbassadorMan wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:46 am
Please I urge anyone not to use Macs Factors, he ripped me off a few years ago took my money and did not supply me with all the parts I had paid for. Ignored my communication when trying to contact, Scumbag of the highest order
Oh dear. I'm sorry to hear that. I had absolutely no trouble with him at all, in fact he personally delivered my windscreen, exhaust and the other bits I had bought from him, because I couldn't collect.

I thought the exhaust was a tad expensive, but other than that I was very happy with him, personally.

Just goes to show that we should all ask around before buying any parts or spares.

Cheers,
Mike.

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:35 pm

It's always sad when someone has been ripped off and it certainly leaves a nasty taste.

We got a NOS outer sill for Maurice from Macs Factor during the restoration. It was not an unreasonable price for a difficult-to-find part. We paid cash on collection. I had a bit of difficulty finding his house when he wouldn't answer his phone but otherwise perfectly straightforward,
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:
Oldest known surviving wedge, hand-built 15th Pre-Production Wolseley in June 1974
Last Ambassador down the line in November 1983, Austin Ambassador VDP