PMR528Y Ambassador

Ambassador specific items.
mcdonaldbrothers

PMR528Y Ambassador

Post by mcdonaldbrothers » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:06 am

The car has been in lockdown with us but now its time to have a look at the engine, previous posts have suggested it had an overheating problem.
Before the engine comes out, there are a few parts I will need, can anyone confirm that these may be obtainable and suggest where I should try?

Track rod ends
Break hoses
CV boots
Engine seal kit (head gasket, stem seals & oil gasket?

The carburettor has been refurbished and the displacers re gassed, the car came with a spare head so when we take the engine out we can compare the two and make a decision on which is best.
Si :idea:

Gasman

Re: PMR528Y Ambassador

Post by Gasman » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:50 pm

All of these parts should not be difficult to source.

The part number for the track rod ends for Ambassador is GSJ185. They were used on lots of things including TR7 and are easily available on eBay and elsewhere: e.g. Rimmers do them for £10.56 each incl VAT.

As you probably know the inner and outer CV joint covers are different inner and outer and are also available on eBay. Try searching on "Austin Ambassador cv boot kit". Lots come up.

Cylinder Head gasket sets are easily available. For info 1.7 and 2.0 litres engines are the same. First one I came upon on the 'net:
http://www.jmgaskets-seals.co.uk/prodde ... od=DGD970D

The Front brake hoses and rear are slightly different lengths. Obviously there are 4 at the front and 2 at the rear. Again lots around on eBay and the wider internet. Pardon me for saying but when you search make sure you spell Brake correctly!
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:
Oldest known surviving wedge, hand-built 15th Pre-Production Wolseley in June 1974
Last Ambassador down the line in November 1983, Austin Ambassador VDP

mcdonaldbrothers

Post by mcdonaldbrothers » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:41 pm

Thanks for the advice, I will check my spelling, that is twice today I have used the wrong brake!

mcdonaldbrothers

Post by mcdonaldbrothers » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:53 am

I wanted to update the forum on the work my son in law and I have undertaken so far.

The engine came out a few weeks ago, when we took the head off the failed gasket was evident, the head has now been refurbished and looks like new.

We were about to work on the main body of the engine but sadly the man who was the main stay for the work, the one who had no problem with any engineering scenario was taken from this world in a car crash. he leaves behind his wife, my daughter, and five children.

He and I enjoyed the fun of taking an old car apart, at times he was impressed with the way the Ambassador was built, particularly the drive shafts, he was less impressed with the way the gearbox was assembled and the way this needed to be removed. He easily dismantled the suspension and he would give me a list of parts to find, so I made many enquiries and found all he asked for, meeting people on the way, finding enthusiasts was interesting!

I hope the car will continue at some time at present it remains on my drive as a reminder of the fun we had.

I will miss my son in law Keith, a Chief Petty Officer in the Royal Navy he experienced a lot in his service and the picture used by the press and the other organisations shows him with a happy smile - working on the engine of an Austin Ambassador!

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:57 pm

How utterly dreadful. Our heartfelt condolences to you and particularly your daughter and their children for your loss. Remember the good times.
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:
Oldest known surviving wedge, hand-built 15th Pre-Production Wolseley in June 1974
Last Ambassador down the line in November 1983, Austin Ambassador VDP

mr_drewerz

Post by mr_drewerz » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:36 am

That is awful! I am very sad for your loss.
Last edited by mr_drewerz on Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.