1:43 Heller Princess - completed kit

The obligatory "general chat" forum. Say what you like!
Vulgalour

1:43 Heller Princess - completed kit

Post by Vulgalour » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:26 pm

I've had this kit for a while. Today, I finally finished it. I never want to build another. It's a fairly accurate kit for the scale, but it's one of the most infuriatingly fiddly kits I've ever had to work with. I shan't complain about it being left hand drive since Princess kits aren't exactly commonplace and while I could have modified the dashboard to convert it to right hand drive it was just more work than I was particularly willing to put in.

If you're considering completing one of these kits be aware that it definitely requires experience of kit building, small tools like tweezers, and buckets of patience. Happily, my completed example does roll on the hard plastic wheels provided and looks smart enough on display. The colour isn't a Princess colour, it's actually Ford Roman Bronze, but it looks right enough. I've completed this one in HL trim.

Unfortunately it does have some flaws, I had a lot of trouble with paint and keeping fingerprints and glue where they shouldn't be. I've just accepted that flaws are what this one has and it'll have to do as is.

Gasman

Re: 1:43 Heller Princess - completed kit

Post by Gasman » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:56 pm

That looks good. I've actually got one of these kits somewhere but I reckon it's far too much of a faff for me...
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:
Oldest known surviving wedge, hand-built 15th Pre-Production Wolseley in June 1974
Last Ambassador down the line in November 1983, Austin Ambassador VDP

Vulgalour

Post by Vulgalour » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:17 pm

"faff" describes this kit perfectly.

beiderbecke

Post by beiderbecke » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:40 pm

I've got two of these kits unopened and still in their cellophane wrapping. I never intended to make them, and won't after these comments...

rovamota
Site Admin

Post by rovamota » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:50 pm

Yes, very fiddly model to build without making a mess. Although there can be a sense of satisfaction completing one of these buying one of the Corgi Princess models is easier.
Kev Davis.
Club President.
Founder of www.leylandprincess.co.uk.
Owner of unique Princess 2000ST 'Special Tuning'.

Vulgalour

Post by Vulgalour » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:29 pm

I've got a Corgi one in the works too, I really ought to finish the detailing on that so I can get it glued back together, it doesn't need much.

Pepper

Post by Pepper » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:08 pm

What made it so fiddly? Are the mouldings of poor quality?

Vulgalour

Post by Vulgalour » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:37 pm

It's just awkward. The size of the kit didn't help very much and installing the glass without getting glue where you don't want it was particularly trying. Fitment wasn't the worst I've ever worked with, and not the best either. Just not an enjoyable kit to build. I've got another in a box and the bodyshell is warped quite badly, on this one the front valance didn't really line up fantastically well with the rest of the shell.

I like it well enough to display, just not well enough to want to build another any time soon.