Two Ambassadors

New members please post here to introduce yourself. A warm welcome is guaranteed!
mcdonaldbrothers

Two Ambassadors

Post by mcdonaldbrothers » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:00 pm

My brother (Simon) and I (Jon) have taken on two cars one from Birmingham XWD 164X and one from The Isle of Wight PMR 528Y in gold.
Starting with the gold one, we have removed all the displacer units to send to the people in Telford, then the engine is coming out as the previous owner mentioned overheating was a problem. Luckily, I have the help of my son-in-law a RN marine engineer who is enjoying the task and sees it as a great hobby.
Windscreen rubbers will be necessary, I see a previous note suggesting there was a plan to get a number of these re manufactured, did this happen? Can we get new rubbers from anywhere?

Noted that there was not a description on how to remover the rear displacer units so we took photos and will write up a piece in due course.

Cheers Jon
Si :idea:

Gasman

Re: Two Ambassadors

Post by Gasman » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:25 pm

Welcome to the forum Jon.

From the tone of your post it would seem you had no trouble removing the rear displacers. If so, you are lucky because the displacers can often be seized onto the pivot shaft which cans be very problematic. I hope you are as lucky with the other car!

The windscreen rubbers were indeed remanufactured but the first run of 25 have all been sold I am afraid.

Good luck with your dual projects
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:
Oldest known surviving wedge, hand-built 15th Pre-Production Wolseley in June 1974
Last Ambassador down the line in November 1983, Austin Ambassador VDP

mcdonaldbrothers

Post by mcdonaldbrothers » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:21 pm

Thanks for the welcome, PMR will likely be the easier of the two, luck must have been on our side with the rear displacers, although no much stops the Royal Navy! Shame there are no windscreen rubbers left. pictures to follow at some time on the Ambassador section as suggested to my brothers first post.

MrAmbassadorMan

Post by MrAmbassadorMan » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:23 am

Welcome to the forum, I saw both of those ambassadors listed on ebay and Im glad they have gone to a good home, best of luck with the projects and keep us updated with progress

mr_drewerz

Post by mr_drewerz » Sat May 02, 2020 10:06 am

Hi Jon. I'm new here too and was just reading the other posts and was very surprised to see you have purchased XWD - this was the car that I was interested in last June/July and was actually looking for parts for it when I found the car I then actually bought!

I actually contacted the seller about XWD but he was absolutely useless (in my opinion) and wasn't interested in answering the most basic questions, and he wanted way too much money for the work it clearly needed.

It didn't have a V5 or even the keys, or so he told me anyway. Plus it needed welding and respraying plus lots of other bits too but I was still interested in it and was looking for parts for it when I then found my car, so I left XWD alone.

I'm really pleased it and PMR (which I also saw for sale and posted a picture of the listing in one of my FB groups asking if anyone was going for it) have clearly gone to a good home, I was really hoping it would do :)

I wish you all the best with it and will hope to see it one day at a show somewhere :)

Cheers,
Mike.

mcdonaldbrothers

Post by mcdonaldbrothers » Thu May 21, 2020 11:20 am

Hi Simon here as catching up with Ambassadors news .
Just added note in other post as I did buy XWD 164X from the Birmingham mechanic and it was trailered time a friends farm in Herefordshire.
Will copy some more details and start a new Ambassador post with photos
Yes it has a lot of rust at the edges but I hope the main structure is sound as it appears to be to me.
Cheers Simon

mcdonaldbrothers

Post by mcdonaldbrothers » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:16 am

Hello Mike
Sorry for delay in replying.
PMR is on my drive and as Simon mentioned XWD is in a barn at present.
The engine for PMR is about to come out today and refurbishment is restarting hopefully!
Cheers Jon